We’re looking for our next Marketing and Social Media Manager
|Title:||Marketing and Social Media Manager|
|Hours:||1.0 full-time equivalent|
|Reports to:||Director of Communications|
Position Summary: Oregon Environmental Council’s Marketing and Social Media Manager develops and implements marketing strategies that strengthen OEC’s brand and collaboratively helps achieve the organization’s programmatic and fundraising goals; maintains and grows an engaging online presence via multiple channels to increase brand recognition and grow membership, including managing all social media communications; manages digital assets; and implements partnerships and relationships to leverage OEC’s brand. The Marketing and Social Media Manager works with the Director of Strategic Communications to create and implement a strategic communications and marketing plan that strengthens OEC’s brand, reflects our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and helps achieve the organization’s programmatic, legislative and fundraising goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Cross-Organizational Marketing (~40%)
- Writes original content; supports development team and program staff in writing content such as blog posts, opinion pieces, fact sheets and other public outreach materials, website content on program pages, action alert text and other digital communications
- Assists in the writing, editing and collaboration on talking points, press releases and rapid response to opposition messaging
- Develops and implements overall organizational marketing plan to strengthen brand and raise money through social media, website, and other electronic and printed materials.
- Provides input to developing the communications and outreach goals of OEC’s Communications and Marketing plan.
- Produces visuals, including still photography and infographics and co-manages media library
- Assists in securing earned media coverage, pitching stories to media, and building media contacts
- Develops culturally appropriate materials and helps ensure that our voice is inclusive and speaks to diverse audiences
- Works closely with the Director of Strategic Communications and with program staff to design and implement organizational and project-specific marketing, fundraising and outreach efforts, including pro-active digital marketing plans to support OEC’s campaign/legislative priorities.
- Develops and manages marketing partnership projects and cause-related marketing arrangements that raise OEC’s visibility and further OEC’s strategic goals.
- Works closely with Deputy Director for Philanthropy and Development Associate to engage and recruit members
Digital Assets and Social Media (~40%)
- Maintains and coordinates all of OEC’s digital assets, including software connected to the website, petition and advocacy engagement programs, email management software (Emma), and all internal/external-messaging systems
- Knows our digital audience and works to develop resources and creative opportunities for social media campaigns, including an overall digital recruitment strategy for diversifying and sustaining our growing community
- Produce and schedule clear and creative content, ensuring consistency in organizational message and voice that is culturally competent and reaches diverse audiences
- Assists in the development of digital campaigns and ways to reinforce OEC’s message and mission through all platforms, in coordination with the program and development team
- Regularly reviews Google Analytics and adapts & informs team strategy for improvement
- Maintains annual metric results and reporting benchmarks for the organization
- Integrates SEO (search engine optimization) for website and all digital channels
- Manages OEC’s Google grant, Google AdWords campaigns and Google One app
Graphic Design (~10%)
- Designs and implements organizational and project-specific promotional materials that are consistent with our brand and mission
- Produces original graphic design and layout, working closely with staff and external graphic designers as needed
- Works with the development team to implement marketing campaigns to reinforce OEC’s fundraising messages through our website and digital platforms.
- Occasionally represents OEC at public and community events.
- Works with Deputy Director for Philanthropy to coordinate membership and development communications that are aligned with OEC fundraising goals and support spring, special occasion, Giving Tuesday, Give! Guide and end of year appeal campaigns.
Required Experience and Education
- Two-four years related professional experience with at least two years demonstrated experience in marketing and managing digital platforms
- Experience developing and implementing marketing and fundraising strategies and working with diverse organizations and communities
- Experience working in WordPress, Emma, Sprout Social and DoGooder or other similar website, social and email management software
- Experience using InDesign, Photoshop, Canva or other similar graphic design tools
Required Skills, Abilities and Qualities
- A clear and compelling writer and speaker with experience in marketing best practices and website management and internet tools
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias; a commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion within the organization and as part of the position
- Ability to write, edit and speak in a clear and compelling fashion
- Creativity, flexibility and passion for creating mission-driven nonprofit communications
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines without losing sight of the “big picture”
- Excellent interpersonal skills; an eagerness to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment; positive, flexible attitude
- Energized to support Oregon Environmental Council’s Values and Beliefs and workplace culture as described in our Team Charter
- Existing relationships with Oregon media
- Experience with search-engine optimization/marketing (SEO/SEM) and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff and board
- Knowledge of environmental issues and passion for OEC’s mission
- Exposure to public policy development and advocacy
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field
Travel: This position requires infrequent travel around the state. OEC encourages travel by sustainable modes, e.g., walking, bicycling, taking transit, carpooling, but some trips may require driving. This position therefore requires a valid driver’s license.
Work Schedule: Work hours are typically stable and within a standard workday, however this role requires the ability to be flexible about one’s schedule and work hours. This role may occasionally require excess hours in order to achieve deliverables. During Covid-19 OEC staff are working from home and hours can be flexible based on need.
Physical: This job operates in a professional open-floor office environment with a moderate level of noise associated with personal conversations and office machinery. The employee must be able to see, hear and talk and have the physical ability to move around, lift light objects, and use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
Benefits and Amenities: OEC offers a collaborative, team-oriented, flexible, family-friendly workplace. Excellent benefits include four weeks of paid vacation annually (three the first year) and generous health insurance for employee and family. You will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and feel great about helping Oregon communities become better, healthier places to live.
This position will be open until filled, but we will start to review applications on March 29, 2021. Please complete the following 2-step process:
- Click on this link and fill in your name, phone, email and information about where you heard about this position.
- Click on this link to submit your resume and cover letter copy. Please submit both documents together as one single pdf document. Title the document “<Last name>, <First name> – OEC Marketing and Social Media Manager 2021”
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please email email@example.com or call 503-222-1963 x100 for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Oregon Environmental Council provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender assignment, gender identity or expression, national origin, (dis)ability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.