We’re looking for an Accounting & Payroll Specialist
OEC’s Accounting & Payroll Specialist has primary responsibility for the organization’s accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll processing, grant financial reporting and records management, and employee benefit enrollments. Additionally, the Specialist prepares many of the monthly journal entries and plays a supporting role in all other aspects of the organization’s finance, accounting and administrative operations.
The right candidate will:
- have the bookkeeping experience necessary to lead our A/P, A/R and payroll processes
- be detail-oriented and able to consistently perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- enjoy supporting a wide array of business activities
- be excited to work with a diverse group of people to make Oregon a better place
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Manage all aspects of the monthly cycle, including updating and distributing timesheet templates, inputting hours worked into online third-party processing system (we use Paychex Flex), creating and maintaining employee profiles (including recurring earnings & deductions), preparing retirement contributions, and filing all related records.
Manage all aspects of the weekly cycle, including reviewing submitted invoices, coding and entering bills in the accounting system (we use Sage 50), generating checks, and maintaining vendor, contract and payable files.
Manage all aspects of the cycle, including issuing invoices, recording cash & electronic receipts, reconciling revenue with the fundraising team, and maintaining files.
Journal Entries & Monthly Close Process:
Make recurring month-end journal entries, coordinate credit card account reconciliations, prepare bank account reconciliations, and update balance sheet account schedules. Work with Finance Director to prepare entries for expense allocations and for release of restricted revenues (this is an area of growth for the position).
Grant Financial Reporting and Records:
Prepare standard grant financial reports and maintain all records associated with restricted awards.
Maintain employee enrollments in third party benefit systems (create profiles, update for changes, terminate upon employment termination), and maintain all related records.
Accounting and Finance Support:
Assist the Finance Director in other aspects of the Accounting and Finance operation, including pulling files, generating reports, and sorting transactions for other financial processes; generating and issuing 1099s at year-end; and preparing schedules for annual financial audit. Other related support tasks, as assigned.
HR and Administrative Support:
Assist the Finance Director and other staff in other realms of the organization’s business operation, including supporting employee onboarding process, maintaining personnel files, and implementing the organization’s record retention policy. Other related support tasks, as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bookkeeping experience, including experience with accounting and payroll software systems
- Associate’s degree in business, finance or accounting, or 3+ years work experience in business operations
- Experience using Excel to collect, analyze and present data (proficiency required)
Required Skills, Abilities and Qualities:
- Ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Detail-oriented and highly-organized
- Impeccable integrity; attention to compliance with all relevant regulations
- Ability to manage sensitive employee and financial records with discretion and confidentiality
- Problem-solving and time-management skills
- Positive attitude; “can-do” approach to the work and with co-workers; teamwork orientation; ethic of continuous improvement
- Enthusiasm for Oregon Environmental Council’s mission
- Commitment to principles of equity and inclusion; willingness to examine and challenge personal and organizational biases in order to foster an inclusive work environment
- Volunteer and/or work experience in a non-profit setting, especially in nonprofit finance/accounting
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Understanding of principles of internal controls
- Interest in growing into additional accounting responsibilities
COMPENSATION AND AMENITIES
Excellent benefits include four weeks of paid vacation (three the first year) annually, and generous health insurance for employee and family. Learn more about OEC benefits
ABOUT OREGON ENVIRONMENTAL COUNCIL
Founded in 1968, and celebrating its 50th anniversary, OEC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, statewide organization governed by a 16-person board of directors from throughout Oregon. Our mission is to advance innovative, collaborative and equitable solutions to Oregon’s environmental challenges for today and future generations. OEC advocates for impactful, lasting solutions that get at the source of Oregon’s environmental problems and have real benefits for people’s health and quality of life. These challenges include toxic chemicals in our environment, water pollution and scarcity, and climate change. We find common ground with a diverse group of stakeholders to create collaborative solutions that support social equity and a sustainable economy. To learn more about OEC’s commitment to and progress on justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, see A vision for justice on our website.
This is a responsible position in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. OEC offers a collaborative, team-oriented, family-friendly workplace that treats employees as the responsible professionals they are. You will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and feel great about helping Oregon communities become better, healthier places to live.
Please send cover letter, resume and answers to supplementary questions (see below) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Accounting & Payroll Specialist.” The position will be open until filled.
Supplementary questions (up to 200 words per question):
- Describe how you meet the qualifications for this position – how/where did you gain experience; which are your areas of greatest strength?
- What are you looking for in your next job/workplace? Why might OEC be the right fit?
OEC is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities,
and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a disability, e-mail email@example.com
or call 503-222-1963 x100 to let us know the nature of your request.