We’re looking for a Communications Director!
Oregon Environmental Council is hiring a communications director to lead our marketing/communications team in maintaining a strong public presence for OEC through earned, owned and social media channels. The director develops and helps execute our strategic communications plan to grow public support for OEC’s programmatic and organizational goals and to reflect our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Scope of Responsibility
Oregon Environmental Council’s communications director leads our “marcom” team in maintaining a strong public presence for OEC through earned, owned and social media channels. The director will work with the team to create a strategic communications plan that will grow public support for our programmatic and organizational goals and reflect our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. As a working member of the team, the director both contributes to content creation and production and also ensures that strategy is executed efficiently and effectively. Working closely with development staff, the director ensures that our communications strategy is aligned with fundraising goals. The director also works with program and legislative staff to effectively recognize, prepare for and maximize earned media opportunities.
Description of Duties
Strategy Development and Management
- Serves as team leader to internal marcom team and oversees production.
- Supervises Digital Media Manager. Co-supervises Communications Manager.
- Leads development of OEC’s 3-year Communications & Marketing plan and ensures adherence to the goals and brand outlined therein.
- Works closely with relevant staff to design and implement communications strategies and effective messaging for organizational and program-specific goals.
- Ensures communications are culturally competent and reach diverse audiences.
- Develops and executes earned and owned media plan designed to advance OEC’s strategic goals and strengthen OEC’s organizational presence and visibility.
- Proactively seeks out and secures earned media coverage statewide and nationally.
- Cultivates relationships with key media outlets, reporters, editors and bloggers; fields media inquiries.
- Monitors news for relevant environmental stories and emerging communications trends.
- Works with program staff to “think media”; prepares and trains program and legislative staff for media interviews and to utilize owned media channels as appropriate.
- Drafts and distributes press releases and press advisories; prepares press kits and organizes press conferences/briefings as necessary.
- Tracks media coverage of OEC; maintains press clippings; maintains media contact database.
- Creates and maintains systems for benchmarking, tracking and reporting on earned media results.
- Oversees content strategy and helps write the content of print, web and electronic communications and reviews and edits others’ work when needed.
- Writes and edits speeches and talking points.
- Provides support on social media content.
- Coordinates closely with membership and development staff to ensure our communications are aligned with our fundraising goals. May assist with fundraising appeals and events.
- Occasionally manages organizational partnerships that support organizational marketing and fundraising goals.
- Five years related experience with at least three years media relations and digital marketing experience
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments
- Experience developing and implementing social marketing tools, including using analytics to evaluate effectiveness and apply to strategy
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about how to gain attention for the organization and our priorities
- A gift for writing and speaking in a clear and compelling fashion
- Expertise in website management and other internet tools
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects without losing sight of the “big picture”
- Self-motivation and initiative
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment
- Existing relationships with Oregon media
- Experience with search-engine optimization/marketing (SEO/SEM) and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff and board
- Exposure to public policy development and advocacy
Compensation and Amenities
The starting salary range is $65,000-$75,000. Excellent benefits include four weeks of paid vacation (three the first year) annually, and generous health insurance for employee and family. Learn more about OEC benefits here.
About Oregon Environmental Council
Founded in 1968, and celebrating its 50th anniversary, Oregon Environmental Council (OEC) is a non-profit, non-partisan, statewide organization governed by a 17-person board of directors from throughout Oregon. Our mission is to advance innovative, collaborative, and equitable solutions to Oregon’s environmental challenges for today and future generations. OEC advocates for equitable, impactful, lasting solutions that get at the source of Oregon’s environmental problems and have real benefits for people’s health and quality of life. These challenges include advancing solutions to climate change, clean water, clean air and reducing toxic chemicals in our environment. We find common ground with a diverse group of stakeholders to create collaborative solutions that support social equity and a sustainable economy. To learn more about OEC’s commitment to and progress on justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, see our Partners and Diversity webpage. Find out more about Oregon Environmental Council at www.oeconline.org.
This is a responsible position in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. OEC offers a collaborative, team-oriented, family-friendly workplace that treats employees as the responsible professionals they are. We have been among the top 10 in Oregon Business magazine’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” list. You will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and feel great about helping Oregon communities become better, healthier places to live.
The position will be open until filled, but we will begin reviewing applications November 20. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Communications Director.”
OEC is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a disability, e-mail email@example.com or call 503-222-1963 x100 to let us know the nature of your request.