Top 5 most beautiful things about the Clean Electricity & Coal Transition Bill
The Clean Electricity and Coal Transition Bill would ignite meaningful climate action in Oregon, so it’s no wonder opponents are using every dirty trick in the book to stop this critical bill from moving forward. Special interests are trying to drag out the clock and prevent momentum on climate progress. Your voice today can help Oregon quit coal for good.
Here are 5 reasons the Clean Electricity and Coal Transition Bill is a smart (and beautiful!) move for Oregonians.
- A mountain of carbon reductions. The carbon reductions from this bill are real, measurable and substantial. The Oregon Global Warming Commission estimates this could cut the carbon footprint of the two biggest utilities in half. That’s the equivalent of taking 6.4 MILLION cars off the road.
- Good news for ratepayers: Wind and solar installed costs have dropped dramatically in just the last five years – by 60 percent and 80 percent, respectively – and they keep coming down. Research by Renewable Northwest shows this bill will have minimal rate impact in the short term and likely rate savings long term.
- Skip the gas station, I’m all charged up: Transitioning to electric vehicles is one of the most important things we can do to address climate change. This bill will help expand the charging infrastructure that our state needs for electric vehicles.
- Community solar: The bill includes an innovative program so people can get access to solar energy even if they can’t put solar panels on their own residence.
- Jobs, jobs, jobs: Renewable energy in Oregon has already brought $9.8 billion in investments and more than 5,300 jobs to our state. By doubling our state’s commitment to renewable energy we’ll build on this success, particularly in rural Oregon where wind and solar projects are waiting to be built.
Contact your Senator now to voice your support for a coal-free Oregon!