DIY green cleaning kit
You can do almost any household cleaning job with just five ingredients: baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, castile soap—and elbow grease. Green cleaning amy take a bit more time and effort to work without the harsh chemicals. But the payoff is a healthier home and a gentle touch for our air, water and landscape.
- Deodorizer: Sprinkle in garbage cans and litter boxes, open a box in the fridge, or sprinkle on carpet before vacuuming to absorb odors. Add mint oil for fresh scent.
- Scouring paste: Mix with castile soap and a small amount of vinegar to make an abrasive scouring paste.
- Laundry booster: Shake 1/2 cup into empty washer before loading to whiten and brighten clothes
- Drain freshener: Pour down the drain and chase with vinegar and then hot water to prevent clogs.
- Hydrogen peroxide, sold in the first aid aisle, can be used straight from the bottle to sanitize hard surfaces. It breaks down with exposure to light, so be sure to store it in the dark bottle.
- Sanitize: Attach a spray nozzle to the brown bottle to spray clean countertops and bathroom surfaces. Let stand 10 minutes to kill germs.
- Stain remover: Use on blood and grass stains. Caution: it may bleach colored items.
- Degreaser: Mix with baking soda to cut grease
Distilled white vinegar
- As a mild acid, vinegar is a helpful cleaning tool. Don’t worry about the scent when it’s wet; dry vinegar leaves no odor.
- Shower spray: Use after showering to prevent build-up of mold, mildew and soap scum
- Coffee pots: Soak pot in vinegar to dissolve deposits
- Laundry softener: Add to fabric softener dispenser to make clothes soft and leave the washer fresh.
Vegetable-based/liquid castile soap
Castile soap, made from plant oils, can lift dirt and oil from dishes, floors, counters and laundry. It is easy on the skin, too!
Microfiber cleaning cloths
Cloths made with microfibers have tiny hooks and loops that can pick up and trap dust without additional cleaners. They are best used dry or slightly damp with water to clean and polish surfaces. Wash them without bleach or fabric softener to maintain effectiveness.