OEC Celebrates Scientists: Kim Anderson, Environmental Forensics

“Wondering about our world can be the catalyst for innovative learning, and for creative minds to create the solutions for our times.”

Kim Anderson, PhD., Chemistry
Director, Food Safety and Environmental Stewardship, College of Agricultural Sciences, Oregon State University

Dr. Anderson’s laboratory is dedicated to environmental forensics; that is, using science to understand how chemicals move through the environment and how people and animals are exposed. Dr. Anderson and her students have worked along the Willamette River, in day care centers, and at other locations across Oregon. Dr. Anderson and her lab developed a “passive sampling device”—a way to use a simple wristband to monitor chemicals that people come in contact with in daily life, from personal care products to pesticides to air pollutants from fossil fuels.

MORE FROM DR. ANDERSON

As a scientist, I am trying to acquire knowledge and further our understanding, to provide accurate information to people so they may make informed decisions.

I work on understanding chemicals in our environment and individual exposure to chemicals.  I hope that my data and research information will empowered citizen advocates for themselves, their family, and their community to get the best possible environment, safety and health. Putting a concrete number on what you are or (importantly) are not exposed to—and at what concentration—could provide incentive for communities to change their environment, their interaction with their environment and inspire social action.

To celebrate science: visit a science center, or museum, or take a walk in nature—anything that inspires and nurtures your curiosity!  Wondering about our world can be the catalyst for innovative learning, and creative minds to meet the solutions of our times.

More: Celebrating Oregon Scientists

Related Posts
Filter by
Post Page
Policy Featured OEC News/Updates/Events Media/PR/Statements Toxics-Free Environments OEC History OEC Membership [50th] People Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Climate Protection Air Quality
Sort by

Oregon Environmental Council: Andrea Durbin to transition to City of Portland leadership

After 12 years with OEC, Durbin will head the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability FOR
February 22, 2019, 5:32 pm
admin

Oregon Environmental Council’s voting guide for 2018 ballot measures

At Oregon Environmental Council, we believe civic engagement is important. Just as important as supporting healthy communities for Oregon’s future. That’s why we’re taking a stand on these important ballot measures for the 2018 election. Don’t forget to vote on NOVEMBER 6,
August 16, 2018, 9:37 pm
admin

Oregon’s environmental legacy

Guest blog by Farrah Fatemi, OEC Volunteer I spent the past decade hopping around the Eastern
December 28, 2017, 7:31 pm
admin

My First Week at Oregon Environmental Council

Post by Hosana Medhanie  As a recent graduate of Willamette University, I set out to find an
July 11, 2017, 9:06 pm
admin

Fighting for Environmental Progress, Protecting Our Wins

Most of us assume that once a bill has been signed into law, the victory has been achieved and the hard work is done. So what happens after a proposed program becomes law? Do we check the item off our list and move on to the next? At Oregon Environmental Council, the answer is no. Our work continues behind the scenes — and sometimes, that’s the toughest work of a
July 11, 2017, 9:05 pm
devond

OEC Statement: White House Attacks Cornerstone Environmental Policy

President Trump signs executive order to roll back Clean Power Plan PORTLAND, OR – As President Trump signs an executive order to roll back the Clean Power Plan, the single largest policy action in U.S. history and our country’s cornerstone commitment to international cooperation to combat the devastating effects of climate c
March 28, 2017, 5:15 pm
admin

Can Poetry Save Us from Our Global Environmental Crisis?

I have to admit that, after decades of work as an environmental advocate, I still find it slightly awkward to tell people that my educational training is in fine arts.But if you think about it for a moment, it makes sense. Environmental solutions, just like poetry, require imagination, vision and passion. I’d bet that, if you take a close look at the staff at our nation’s most effective environmental groups, you’d find not only scientists and
November 23, 2016, 6:30 pm
admin

A migrant’s story of environmental justice

Guest blog by Giselle Lopez Ixta Every morning feels too painful to wake up. I’m scared to hear about another death, another racist incident, another deportation, a family separation, and of politics. I am a migrant queer xicana. I was born in Apatzingan, Michoacán, Mexico. When I was five years old, I arrived in Woodburn where my parents had been farmworkers. When I was ten years old, I received my citizenship, even as my mother was deported for ten years. In summer 20
October 19, 2016, 1:30 pm
admin

Oregon votes on environmental values

The 2016 elections showed once again that Oregonians strongly value healthy, safe and sustainable lives. We’re willing to put our money where our values are and invest in our environment for today and into the future. Voters in Oregon showed that they were aligned with OEC in support of four ballot measures (see details below). supporters. Now that elections are over and the 2017 legislative session is coming up f
October 18, 2016, 1:33 pm
jenc

2 Replies to "OEC Celebrates Scientists: Kim Anderson, Environmental Forensics"

• Donald Perman
    April 18, 2017 (6:30 pm)

Hi Kim, I am a dentist that stopped using Mercury filled Amalgam over twenty years ago. Researchers like you have warned to us the danger of any level of mercury in our bodies that receive mercury vapor from Amalgam and other sources like fish. It is known that the level of mercury from Amalgam is actually much more then from fish. Please do some of your own research and speak from the words from your field to speak about this issue.
    We know that mercury has been found to contribute to many neurological conditions in the human body. This is one reason Europe has now banned the use of this material in the mouth. It is time to ban the use in this country and we need scientists like you to speak out about the danger of the mercury filled restorative material. Thanks Don

Got something to say?