My First Week at Oregon Environmental Council

Post by Hosana Medhanie

As a recent graduate of Willamette University, I set out to find an internship that would allow me to get involved with environmental protection and sustainability because it’s an area I am excited in exploring further. Fortunately, this summer I have the opportunity to work as OEC’s Environmental Leadership and Justice Intern. OEC has partnered with Emerging Leaders Internship Program (ELI), a program that provides college students with paid internships at top companies in Portland. ELI’s goal is to bring underrepresented groups — first generation students, low-income students, and students of color — into Portland businesses, which will prepare them to be future leaders. Essentially, the ELI Program is meant to benefit Portland’s corporate world and community in the long term because it sustains Portland’s very own talent to create more representation, innovation, and collaboration.

My first week at OEC was pretty eventful because I had the opportunity to sit in at a few meetings and I attended a staff party at Pips and Bounce. I appreciate that I was immediately immersed into OEC by attending a weekly staff meeting on my first day where everyone was so inviting. At Pips and Bounce, we had appetizers and played ping pong. The staff party was a great way for me to get to know my co-workers in a different setting and for them to get to know me as well. During the party, two OEC volunteers were given the Kevin Rose Award. Kevin Rose was a former volunteer at OEC and after he passed away in 2014 his family dedicated an award with contributions in his honor that would be given to OEC volunteers who make a difference. I also attended an all day meeting with the OEC staff and board of directors at a beautiful vineyard, which helped me learn about OEC from a behind-the-scenes perspective.

Since my first week, I feel that I’ve adjusted well into the office. I genuinely feel welcomed by everyone and have enjoyed learning about the impact that OEC has on Oregon. A few important lessons I’ve learned so far are how to incorporate green cleaning at home, how to write business profiles, and how to comprehend proposed bills in order to do research for testimonies.

What I hope to learn and experience in the next few weeks are shadowing the different teams and exploring more into the kind of work that they do. I’m grateful that I have the chance to work with the marketing and communications team because I’m gaining exposure to environmental communications, which I am interested in getting more involved with.

Interning at OEC has been a worthwhile experience so far because they are changing lives and protecting Oregon’s land, water, and air. I think the kind of work that the toxic-free environment, climate protection, and clean water teams are doing here is incredible because they are working to protect what they love about Oregon. It’s been an eye-opening and empowering experience to work in an environment that truly is doing amazing work.

Hosana is the Environmental Leadership and Justice Intern for Oregon Environmental Council.

Related Posts
Filter by
Post Page
Policy Featured OEC News/Updates/Events OEC Membership Media/PR/Statements Living Green Toxics-Free Environments Air Quality Transportation Solutions Water News Climate Protection
Sort by

Oregon Environmental Council: Andrea Durbin to transition to City of Portland leadership

After 12 years with OEC, Durbin will head the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability FOR
February 22, 2019, 5:32 pm
admin

Sponsored content: Celebrating 50 years Innovation: Intel & Oregon Environmental Council

Our state motto, “she flies with her own wings,” has long been reflected in the spirit of the people of Oregon, with a readiness to embrace new ideas and look towards the possibilities of tomorrow. That same spirit resides in two important Oregon mainstays – Intel Corporation and the Oregon Environmental Council. Both organizations share a commitment to making our state a better pl
September 12, 2018, 4:48 pm
admin

Oregon Environmental Council’s voting guide for 2018 ballot measures

At Oregon Environmental Council, we believe civic engagement is important. Just as important as supporting healthy communities for Oregon’s future. That’s why we’re taking a stand on these important ballot measures for the 2018 election. Don’t forget to vote on NOVEMBER 6,
August 16, 2018, 9:37 pm
admin

Stepping Up Efforts to Reduce Plastic Pollution in Oregon

By Belinda McFadgen, OEC Volunteer. “Nothing we use for a few minutes should be allowed to pollute our oceans and rivers and threaten wildlife for centuries.” That’s how our friends at Environment Oregon describe the problem of pollution from straws, bags, take-out containers and other single-use plastics. And now, after 14 commu
February 19, 2019, 2:07 pm
admin

New report: Oregon fails on diesel

This month, Oregon’s cross-agency team of experts made it very clear: None of our current efforts to reduce diesel pollution have worked, or will work, to meet our state’s goals for protecting human and environmental health. “Diesel emissions impacts to human health and the environment are not being adequately addressed by the DEQ [Department of Environmental Quality] or through Toxics Reduction Strategy planning.” This matter-of-fact statement, and details about Orego
January 30, 2019, 6:21 pm
jenc

Oregon’s Future Depends on You!

Did you know that Oregon Environmental Council launched its biggest and boldest fundraising campaign in 2017 to accelerate our progress to protect clean air, clean water and act on climate change? Our goal is to raise $15 million over three years and thanks to our foundation partners and generous
January 28, 2019, 8:39 pm
admin

22 milestones for Oregon in 2018

Oregon Environmental Council has a bold agenda for 2019, but before we jump ahead we pause to reflect and to express our gratitude to the extraordinary community partners, civic leaders, board members and donors who stood up for a better Oregon for all. We celebrate and share these important milestones in creating a healthier environment for all Oregonians.January: Home Energy Score ordinance takes effect.
December 20, 2018, 9:37 pm
admin

Oregon Values Held Strong on the 2018 Ballot

Oregon Environmental Council staff and board are feeling both grateful and energized to see how Oregonians voted on critical ballot measures in the 2018 midterm election. With 69.06% of eligible voters turning out across the state, Oregonians stood by healthy and
November 13, 2018, 7:52 pm
morgang

Oregonians attend DEQ hearing to speak against EPA rollbacks

Dozens of concerned Oregonians left messages of opposition to proposals that would reverse environmental standards that protect our climate from greenhouse gases and communities from harmful air pollution during a public gathering in Portland. Organized by the
October 24, 2018, 4:33 pm
tonyh

1 Reply to "My First Week at Oregon Environmental Council"

• Devon Downeysmith
    July 12, 2017 (5:08 pm)

Welcome, Hosana! You’re joining a great team!

Got something to say?