Being on the ELB
WHAT WE DO
- The ELB plans and executes two to three events and/or projects per year with a focus on outreach, education, and advocacy. These events are creative, fun, and advance the mission of OEC. Past events and projects have included:
- ELB members attend monthly (virtual) board meetings from September to May to plan and execute the ELB projects and events, learn from OEC staff about our high-priority programmatic work that is pushing our mission forward, and network with OEC staff, partners, and other ELB members. The meetings are generally during lunch or in the evening, depending on the ELB members’ availability.
- ELB members get to attend at least one in-person meeting and training per year and are encouraged to meet in-person with other ELB members in their areas. These meetings allow for ELB members to bond as a team, network and brainstorm the future of environmental leadership and OEC progress. Expenses are covered by OEC. ELB members are encouraged to attend in person gatherings with other members in their region, serving as an ambassador for OEC.
- Responsibilities of ELB members typically require an average of 5-10 hours per month.
OEC's Emerging Leaders Board Get Dirty for Clean Air 2016
HOW THE ELB CONNECTS TO OEC
- ELB members are regularly informed by OEC staff about the programmatic work that is pushing our mission forward and look for ELB involvement. ELB members are also informed about high priority campaigns and invited to conversations about our most impactful programmatic work.
- OEC staff supports ELB events by providing appropriate guidance, background materials, and attendance when possible.
- OEC staff also provides ELB members with mentorship and guidance in the hopes of empowering the next generation of environmental leaders.
HOW ELB MEMBERS BENEFIT
Emerging leaders get to know OEC staff, our mission and program areas (climate, water, toxic-free environments and transportation), and how we do our work. ELB members also gain networks with their fellow ELB members, OEC board members, and OEC partners. Mainly, participating in the ELB is a chance to expand leadership skills, work alongside fellow advocates and professionals, and have fun while doing it! There are ample opportunities for creative projects, lots of fun, and camaraderie.
In addition, members gain:
- Leadership opportunities
- Professional and skill development
- Networking, both internally and externally
- Relationship building skills
- Event planning experience
- Project management experience
- Tickets to OEC events
A member of the Emerging Leaders Board will serve a term of 18 months and can be eligible for renewal.
New board members are selected through an interview process with a panel of OEC staff and ELB members. OEC staff retains discretion for recruitment and selection based on its judgment of OEC’s needs.
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED FOR 2022
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE OPENINGS ON THE ELB