DEQ Town Hall Talking Points
Unsure What To Say? Here are some points to keep in mind:
- Climate change is a crisis and it’s already here. Oregon needs the most ambitious cap and reduce program possible to take responsibility for our state’s share of the problem and reduce air pollution.
- Greenhouse gas pollution causes climate change. Simply put, all greenhouse gases must be covered under “cap and reduce,” and all major polluters must be held accountable for what they’re dumping into our air — no exceptions or exemptions.
- We have less than 10 years to cut climate pollution in half according to science. We’ve wasted 30 years: we can’t wait or let people off the hook.
- Fossil fuel “natural” gas is one of the most potent sources of climate pollution all sources, including power plants in Oregon, must be required to reduce under this program. Taken together, the fossil gas power plants in Oregon are the largest source of climate pollution outside of oil companies.
- We elected a legislature to enact major climate legislation, the companies arguing for exemptions and loopholes helped break the democratic system and stop that important bill. They don’t get any loopholes or exemptions.
- Science tells us immediate action is needed to nearly cut climate pollution in half, in every state and country. This program must prioritize action in this decade and match up with the mandatory state targets for reducing climate pollution. It’s the minimum we can do.
- Decades of marginalization have left communities of color and low-income communities on the front lines of climate impacts and fossil fuel pollution. To rightfully address these wrongs, such communities need full and fair representation on any advisory bodies, and must be front and center in decision making and program outcomes.
Thank you for standing with us in the fight for a better future for all Oregonians.