Can Poetry Save Us from Our Global Environmental Crisis?

I have to admit that, after decades of work as an environmental advocate, I still find it slightly awkward to tell people that my educational training is in fine arts.
But if you think about it for a moment, it makes sense. Environmental solutions, just like poetry, require imagination, vision and passion. I’d bet that, if you take a close look at the staff at our nation’s most effective environmental groups, you’d find not only scientists and public policy experts but also artists, musicians and writers. It’s certainly true at Oregon Environmental Council.
There’s clear evidence that OEC gets results with the way we make change, and it has a lot to do with law, policy and economics. But is there a part of the formula for really transformative change that might actually include poetry?
I recently asked this question of a small crowd gathered for a TedX event near my home town in Minnesota. I’m happy to be able to share it with you, and I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts
Filter by
Post Page
Transportation Solutions Featured Climate Protection Water News Policy Air Quality OEC News/Updates/Events OEC Membership Media/PR/Statements Toxics-Free Environments OEC History [50th] People Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Sort by

Oregon Lawmakers Take Action Against White House Attacks on Environmental Policy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 15, 2019 PORTLAND, OR – The Environmental Protection Act (HB 2250) has passed the Senate and is headed to the desk of Gov. Kate Brown. HB 2250 ensures that Oregon’s s
May 15, 2019, 8:24 am
kristas

Oregon Environmental Council: Andrea Durbin to transition to City of Portland leadership

After 12 years with OEC, Durbin will head the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability FOR
February 22, 2019, 5:32 pm
admin

Sponsored content: Celebrating 50 years Innovation: Intel & Oregon Environmental Council

Our state motto, “she flies with her own wings,” has long been reflected in the spirit of the people of Oregon, with a readiness to embrace new ideas and look towards the possibilities of tomorrow. That same spirit resides in two important Oregon mainstays – Intel Corporation and the Oregon Environmental Council. Both organizations share a commitment to making our state a better pl
September 12, 2018, 4:48 pm
admin

Oregon Environmental Council’s voting guide for 2018 ballot measures

At Oregon Environmental Council, we believe civic engagement is important. Just as important as supporting healthy communities for Oregon’s future. That’s why we’re taking a stand on these important ballot measures for the 2018 election. Don’t forget to vote on NOVEMBER 6,
August 16, 2018, 9:37 pm
admin

Oregon’s environmental legacy

Guest blog by Farrah Fatemi, OEC Volunteer I spent the past decade hopping around the Eastern
December 28, 2017, 7:31 pm
admin

My First Week at Oregon Environmental Council

Post by Hosana Medhanie  As a recent graduate of Willamette University, I set out to find an
July 11, 2017, 9:06 pm
admin

Fighting for Environmental Progress, Protecting Our Wins

Most of us assume that once a bill has been signed into law, the victory has been achieved and the hard work is done. So what happens after a proposed program becomes law? Do we check the item off our list and move on to the next? At Oregon Environmental Council, the answer is no. Our work continues behind the scenes — and sometimes, that’s the toughest work of a
July 11, 2017, 9:05 pm
devond

No Replies to "Can Poetry Save Us from Our Global Environmental Crisis?"

Got something to say?